Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Screenshots

Mini Rant:

What the hell is the obsession with screenshots in documentation these days? Are people no longer capable of reading? I mean, I can understand the occasional screenshot, say when you're trying to illustrate a difficult concept, and an image just makes it easier to explain, but for some reason, everything needs a screenshot these days! Making a change to a configuration? We need a screenshot before, and a screenshot during, and a screenshot after.

WHY?

We know what the configuration looked like before. That's why we have audit tables, and backups. We know what it's going to look like after, it's the current configuration! Don't even get me started on during... I feel like everything I do needs to be recorded, so that when everyone else feels comfortable with being able to follow what I do, they can get rid of me.

No comments: